Dailey legacy surpassed

Griffin Tunison , Staff Editor

The youngest of the Dailey family has embarked on his journey as the third Dulaney student athlete from his family. His older brother, a graduated senior, Drew Dailey, set many records for the Dulaney running programs. His sister, Marissa Dailey, a junior at Dulaney, is also a prestigious runner. The unparalleled family running talent stems from his parents who were both collegiate level runners.
Ty Dailey entered high school having an even more successful experience with running than his siblings did. Being part of a running family has helped Dailey find his best performances when needed.
“Going into any event or race my family just wants me to try my best. There’s never any pressure,” Dailey said.
With the commencement of his freshmen year, Dailey has managed to surpass his family’s legacy. In the first few months of the season he broke his brother’s personal record in the 5K by six seconds. Dailey is currently ranked eighth in the nation for freshmen in the 5K cross country event.
Although Dailey has excelled at running his entire life, Dailey didn’t fully focus in on his talent until middle school. However, in contrast to his middle school experience, racing at the high school level has been a much more competitive atmosphere.
But Dailey is not fazed by the challenge as he continues to comfortably transition into Dulaney’s running program. He enjoys running as well as the team aspect of the sport. He cares not only about himself, but his teammates and how they perform as well. Dailey recognizes the impact one person can have during workouts and difficult runs, so he puts in the effort on those days and others in his group follow suit.
Dailey’s impact on the whole team has been noticed by senior leader, Cooper Giesler.
“His work ethic pushes the other kids to work harder,” said Giesler. “I haven’t seen a freshman be as dedicated as him during the time I’ve been at Dulaney”.
Dailey has led the varsity team as the number one runner in two out of three invites in the season to date. Through each race he has adapted and learned how to better race each time out. With the cross-country season ending, Dailey has his eyes set on breaking his brother’s track records.
“[Drew] has really good track records, but with coaches’ help and continued effort- I think I can pass him when I’m a senior.