Our mission: to enlighten and to entertain

Dulaney sport managers promote sportsmanship among athletes

Image:  Kayla Goggans
Image: Kayla Goggans

Women’s basketball team manager Emily Noonan and wrestling team managers Raquel Mwelwa and Madeline Knights share the impact that sport managing has had on their lives.

Noonan is taking on her second year as a basketball manager, after managing field hockey, lacrosse, and soccer in past seasons. Each sport has helped Noonan learn to better manage time, improve her communication, and excel in new comfort levels. 

According to Noonan, being a manager has helped her see the team beyond just the star players. By keeping score of player’s statistics and records, Noonan is able to analyze each athlete’s contribution to holding the team together.

As a manager, Noonan still feels like she is part of the team. 

“The players and coaches really embrace me,” says Noonan. 

Along with Noonan, Knights feel that being team managers has helped them form bonds with the team members.

Knights believes that being a team manager has allowed her to be more familiar with the coaches off the field.

I feel like this really showed us how much coaches care about their team and that coaching is not just a job for them. They build good relationships with the team,” says Knights. 

Noonan and Knights plan to continue to be sports managers throughout the rest of their high school careers.