Athlete to Watch: Jai Nettles

95 Images

Sophomore Jai Nettles is a second-year track athlete at Dulaney High School (DHS). Nettles is primarily a hurdler but also runs the 200 relays.

Nettles started track to stay in shape for football and discovered a natural talent. He is a star runner for both winter and spring track.

Nettles is the number one sophomore hurdler in the state and is working towards making nationals. 

Nettles is not only an essential member of the team because of his speed but also because of his spirit. 

“I bring the energy sometimes when we don’t have it,” said Nettles. 

Nettles sees track as a sport but also as a family. He appreciates the teammates that surround him. 

“I love my teammates. I love them so much,” said Nettles. 

His teammates respect him in the same way he respects them. Nettles’ character stands out to his team. 

“Jai is a guy I can count on to lighten up my day with his great attitude. He always brings positivity to every practice and meet. He is a great person to be around,” said senior D’mitri Peele. 

Nettles discovered early on that track is much more than a genetically based sport, believing hard work and realizing his ability made the biggest difference. 

Nettles is a sophomore, having two more years of Dulaney track ahead of him. He will use these years to continue to dedicate himself to the sport and improve.