Our mission: to enlighten and to entertain

Daphne dives deep

Photo provided by Daphne Mead
Photo provided by Daphne Mead

Senior Daphne Mead plans to continue her swimming career at Canisius University in the fall. Mead highlights the factors that kept her passion flowing.

Mead has been swimming since she was two years old. After years of looking up to her older sisters, she committed to swimming at Canisius University to follow in her sisters’ footsteps.

With practices every Monday through Saturday and extra morning practices on Tuesdays and Thursdays, Mead shows her persistence and commitment to her sport. 

“My dad was a coach, so he’s always been supportive of me…I always want to make him proud. I feel like that’s my motivation toward swimming,” said Mead.

Mead swims on the Loyola Blakefield Aquatics club team. Her coaches, Gordan Amato and Bridgette Acchione, fuel her passion with support and inspiration.

“Last year was rough for me, but they were very supportive…they were always keeping me motivated to keep going,” said Mead.

As Mead anticipates her collegiate freshman year this fall, she reflects on her past recruitment process as a positive experience.

“It was pretty easy. Coaches would email me and I’d look at the school and where I fit on their team. For Canisius, I was in the middle, so I could improve and get faster there,” said Mead.

Mead looks forward to continuing her swimming career with Cansius’ Division I team and improving her skills in the water.