In memoriam: Daron Rodney Reid

Brooke Ellis, Sports Editor

Daron Reid, known to most here at Dulaney as Coach Reid, passed away on Feb. 11, 2023, after a three-year long valiant battle with pancreatic cancer. Reid was the Head Coach for the Dulaney Lions football team for 10 seasons, assistant track coach and behavior interventionist. 

Reid grew up in Irvine, CA, and moved around often because his father was in the military. He moved to the east coast to finish high school where he graduated from Fitch High School in Groton, CT. After high school, he got his bachelors at Western Connecticut State University and received his masters from Grand Canyon University. 

Compassionate and caring don’t do him justice to describe who he was. Whenever a student needed someone to talk to, he was always there. Reid made sure everyone felt loved and a part of the Dulaney community. Everytime you walked by him, he would give you a wave and a smile to brighten your day. His candor was appreciative and his support helped many through difficult times. No matter what he was going through, he made sure you were heard. 

Students wrote these messages on his office door: “thank you”, “we miss you”, “job well done, you can rest now”, “we love you”, “you are an inspiration”. The Dulaney community is heartbroken at this loss but so grateful to have gotten to know him and see him doing what he loved. 

A father, son, husband, coach, teacher and friend, it’s hard to imagine the future without him. Coach Reid embodied the heart of the lion at Dulaney and the students here will live out his legacy to make sure his spirit never dies.