New test mandatory policies implemented at Ivy League schools

Naomi Franzblau

Last February, Yale College announced that applicants for the upcoming cycle will follow their test-flexible policy. They are now the second Ivy League institution to require test scores for undergraduate applications.

Yale’s new test-flexible policy allows applicants to choose. Unlike Dartmouth College’s policy, applicants may submit ACT, SAT, AP or International Baccalaureate (IB) scores; however, all AP or IB scores taken before applying must be submitted. Similar to Dartmouth, Yale cites its own internal research that concluded that submitted test scores assist the admissions office in crafting a diverse class. This is for a variety of reasons.

“Tests can highlight an applicant’s areas of academic strength, reinforce high school grades, fill in gaps in a transcript stemming from extenuating circumstances, and – most importantly – identify students whose performance stands out in their high school context,” the update from Yale’s admissions office said. 

Yale’s research also notably concluded test scores are the most significant predictor of future grades while studying at Yale, regardless of other factors. 

By reverting back to their original policies, Yale and Dartmouth hope to level an equal playing field for all applicants. However, Dulaney High School (DHS) seniors have mixed feelings about the policy, with many divided on the benefits of the test-optional movement. Senior Mingni Dong expresses her support for Yale and Dartmouth’s decisions. 

“I think that the movement towards required testing scores can be a good thing, especially for those who are generally bright and committed students but might not have the resources to embellish other aspects of their application,” Dong said. 

Furthermore, Dong noted that it is possible for all students to achieve competitive test scores, regardless of their background. 

By contrast, senior Kavin Gnana staunchly advocates for remaining test-optional, arguing that test scores reflect a student’s socioeconomic status and are not a true metric for equality.

“The recent rise of the test-optional movement is a critical step in ensuring equal opportunity in the college admissions process,” Gnana said. 

Dong and Gnana are not alone in their beliefs. Many DHS seniors share similar viewpoints. across the spectrum.

This seems to reflect a trend of reversing existing test-optional policies. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) reversed its 2021 test-mandate suspension in 2022. Dartmouth and Yale, while much later, are setting a trend amongst the Ivy League. Brown University, on March 5, also reinstated its test mandate effective beginning the Class of 2025’s application. While the test optional movement is still prevalent across the country, more institutions are willing to reconsider their policies.