Returning state finalists shooting for victory

Griffin Tunison , Staff Writer

The Dulaney Basketball team is back in action for the 2019-2020 winter season. The team looks to follow up their state semifinals finish last year. They aim to follow up their state semifinals finish last year with a new vision and strength: depth. With 15 players on the roster, each athlete needs to be ready to go in the game and be productive, hence why the depth of the lions is so important.
Dulaney Basketball is run by head coach Matt Lochte. Lochte puts his heart and soul into the team by doing whatever he can to prepare his team for success. This year marks 21 years for Lochte coaching basketball and he’s “just as excited this year” as he was in his first season.
Lochte said that his favorite part about coaching is that he “loves seeing these young guys develop,” including his players as well as his kids at home. Lochte continues to work hard in practices and in meetings to make his team as successful as possible, while raising two future lions at the same time.
On the court, the team runs through dynamic point guard Ryan Conway who surpassed 1000 points in his sophomore season last year. Conway has made a name for himself and is seeing a lot of interest from Division I schools like Seton Hall and Stanford. Conway continues to elevate his game on his way to becoming one of the premier players in Maryland. He came in at number four on Prep Hoops’ 2021 Maryland state rankings and has high aspirations for the team this year, hoping to make it all the way to the state championship game. Conway also believes that his court vision and overall defense has improved over the offseason by putting a ton of work in at the gym.
The team has many new additions to the team including Crevon Adams, Jaylin Drumgold, DJ Green, Isaiah Oluajayi, Brendyn Pierce, Jaylen Williams and Jordan Wenzl. These athletes play a major role in the depth aspect to the team which is crucial for high school basketball. With fatigue and potential foul trouble in play, the players coming off the bench are vital to a team’s success.
“I can trust any one of our 15 guys to go out and do their job…having good team depth is what wins games and that’s exactly what we are doing right now,” said senior Cole McGee.
Conway echoes McGee’s observation of the team’s depth.
“What makes the team special is the togetherness we have as a program and how everyone is willing to put the program before themselves,” said Conway.
Along with Conway, Lochte expects the impact of players like Cam Byers, Cole McGee, Jaylin Webster, Jaylen Amoruso and Ethan Anderson to increase drastically. With Byers and McGee being the athletic big men in the middle and Webster, Amoruso and Anderson being electric guards with lots of speed and strength, Dulaney bringing tough competetion for opponents to contain all of these dynamic playmakers.