Spirit steers school towards success

Giorgio Gayleard, Sports Editor

School spirit involves, by definition from the National Federation of State High School Associations, “a student’s pride in his or her school, a student’s propensity to get other students to be active in school events, and a student’s plans to return to his or her school for special events after graduation.” Based on a survey conducted by Harris Poll, which linked a student’s school spirit to their academic achievement to general happiness, a positive relationship was consistently present.

Here, at Dulaney, we tend to promote school spirit in hopes that it does exactly that – accelerates our academic success. Our staff members along with our principal are community oriented and attend many events.

“I’ve gone as far as Orlando, Kentucky, to the city, all around to watch students play and compete. And that’s the best part of my job,” Principal Samuel Wynkoop said.

Our staff also is involved with extracurricular activities.

“We have a lot of coaches on staff, a lot of the directors do things outside are on staff, club sponsors, and everyone gets involved in the school community to make the kids feel great,” Wynkoop said.
It’s great and all that our teachers get involved to promote the community feel but an underlying result of this is the success it breeds. It results in school spirit from the students, which is the main benefactor.

According to a study by the National Federation of State High School Associations, “High school students with ‘school spirit’ perform better academically, are more engaged in social and civic matters, and are happier in general than their less-spirited peers.” Although cliché, the “High School Experience” is extremely beneficial to success and achievement.

The community feel and the support provided creates an attitude that would be successful in any environment. Those who feel they have support are more likely to work hard and thrive in difficult environments. Our principal agrees.

“I think it transcends into the classroom- if you feel good and belong when you aren’t in the classroom, it follows you in – it builds that attitude for you,” Wynkoop said.

The support from the staff and principal, along with the peers, the school spirit aspect to it, engenders a community feel which promotes positive attitudes that follows our students everywhere.

“It’s not an accident how performance on the field, on the stage, and in the classroom have come together,” Wynkoop said.