Our mission: to enlighten and to entertain

Dulaney senior shines on the basketball court

John Bowers

The Dulaney basketball season is underway with the women’s varsity team off to a successful start. London McFarlane, the only senior on the team, plays a vital role in the team’s performance.

McFarlane has been playing basketball since she was five years old. The game has influenced her throughout her life, and she explains the lessons basketball has taught her.

“I learned that your mistakes do not define you. And, it’s most likely gonna happen again but it’s how you come back from those mistakes that you can get another chance,” McFarlane says.

McFarlane explains that she enjoys being the only senior on the team because it allows her to “be a leader.” She describes the team as “a really tight knit group.”

As a three-year varsity basketball athlete, McFarlane embraces her experience with the sport to be a role model both on and off the court. She explains that the small size of the team allows them to form deeper bonds with one another, which is evident in games. 

Her favorite moments of her basketball career have been the team’s successes, especially when the team played well. 

When asked about McFarlane’s presence on the court, Junior Heidi Schmidt speaks highly of her captain.

“London is always trying to hype the team up and act as a host. She’s been a leader on this team since I came in as a freshman and you can count on her to pick up the team when we’re starting to get down on ourselves,” Schmidt says. 

Next fall, McFarlane intends to continue both her athletic and academic career at Delaware State University. Although she is a lacrosse commit, her strong sense of leadership and work ethic that she has built through basketball will apply to everything she does. McFarlane hopes to continue to empower her teammates and have a great senior basketball season.