“Don’t stop running”: the Allied motto of 2022

Brooke Ellis, Sports Editor

Watch out Dulaney High – Allied soccer is kicking their way through. They are practicing and working hard to have a great season. Morale is always high among this group of competitors. 

“It’s so much more than winning and losing.” Said Coach Anita Shaw.

This year, there are six senior athletes. Michael Oakley, the star goaley, has had incredible saves in every game, including ten outstanding saves against Franklin High. Sam Fish and Isaac Kiggundu are the top forwards, scoring more than five goals each. Libby DeSantis, Brady Elrick and Ava Lutz help defend the goal and create many scoring opportunities. 

This season the Lions have a tough schedule, going up against Catonsville, Owings MIlls, Franklin, Hereford, Woodlawn, Newtown and Randallstown High schools. The culminating event is the Pumpkin Bowl hosted at Franklin High School where all allied soccer teams from Baltimore County come to play in the tournament. 

This year, there are 40 buddies, which is an unusually large number, and 10 athletes. Each athlete pairs with a core group of buddies to bond with throughout the season.

Coach Shaw said “the relationships built are such an incredible and unique thing that makes allied sports incredibly fun for them”. 

These relationships create new friendships and opportunities for both the buddies and athletes. Allied soccer has a shorter season ending in early November, so make sure to support the lions in their upcoming games.