Sophomore on Second Base

Megan Puente, Staff Writer

On March 7, the Dulaney JV Boys Baseball season began. Captain and sophomore Maddox Helme has had an impressive start and will continue to make an impact on the team at shortstop and second base. 

Helmes started playing baseball at 5 years old and hasn’t stopped since. As a sophomore,  is Helmes is in his second season with the Dulaney baseball program. On the field, he’s the type of guy that when he’s playing he’s not just focused on himself but he’s also focused on making his teammates better and helping them improve in the sport. 

“Maddox has the natural talent you can look for in a guy but also has the character to match it which makes him a pleasure to coach and I’m sure just as much of a pleasure to play with if you’re one of his teammates,” said head coach Timothy Guest.  

Last year as a freshman, Maddox led the team in runs batted in (RBIs), was leader in hitting doubles and he was a reassuring force in the field. The team has a great relationship and continues to bond.

When asked on how he wants to improve this season, Helme said “working on Throws and being more active.” 

Due to all the success Maddox has had so far this season, on April 21 he got pulled up to varsity. On April 22 he went 2 for 3 and on April 25 he had one plate appearance. Helme has continued to work hard and will show his skills throughout the rest of his high school career.