Why defining a ‘true’ high school experience must change

Anthony Hennawi

As graduation approaches, seniors nationwide, including at Dulaney High School (DHS), reflect on their high school experience. Despite the traditions, defining a true senior experience is inherently flawed.

Disclaimer: I am currently a senior at DHS, and a tradition mentioned within this article is DHS-specific. 

Graduation evokes bittersweet memories, from forgotten crushes or earning a bad grade on a test to something more positive, such as meeting new friends and participating in fun high school traditions. With this comes the loose and imperfect definition of what a high school experience is.

Suppose someone asked a group of DHS seniors what their favorite high school memory was. Typically, responses would include the traditional senior traditions: senior barbeque, prom or posting on the commits page. Many high schoolers dating back decades share this belief. However, these experiences carry their own costs, especially with accessibility. A nationwide Visa study from 2015 revealed that American families spent $919 on average on prom-related expenses, and nowadays, prom prices are steadily rising. 

This year at DHS, senior prom tickets cost $75 each, and valet parking is an additional $46 on the day of the prom. Prom attire can add hundreds to this bill. Many families cannot afford to spend all this money for their children to participate in these activities – especially those in low-income communities. Although DHS takes steps to improve accessibility, this is not true for all schools, and a financial burden still exists. For what? These events mainly boil down to a social gathering and spending time with friends. Students are capable of doing this for free: why should parents or students alike spend money for this, especially money that most cannot easily afford to spend? 

Students who do not participate in these traditional activities often also struggle socially. Not participating paints you in a negative light, especially seeing everyone post about these events on Instagram. Attending prom is not only an experience but a popularity contest. The rise of promposals, having to go on a date, adds to this dynamic, with the more popular crowd gaining more attention and the quieter ones falling farther behind, deepening existing social divides. 

There are other ways to commemorate a senior year. The simple gestures of spending time with friends—whether it be through parties, one-on-one events or other activities —are just as valuable as extravagant end-of-year trips. Unfortunately, under the current definition, these more intimate events are seemingly forgotten in the face of a looming price tag. Senior year should be a time to make organic memories, allow friendships to blossom and follow into the next stage of life. This should be true for all walks of life – not just the ones who can afford it.

The bottom line is students should be able to enjoy their senior year as they wish, with or without the existing traditions. The perspective of a “true” senior year has to adapt to fit each individual.