Eligible students should vote

Ashlyn Hoffmann

U.S. citizens over the age of 18 who are eligible to vote in the 2024 presidential election should take advantage of it. Maryland’s presidential primary takes place May 14, and the presidential election will happen November 5.

Once registered to vote, eligible citizens can vote in person or by mail.

According to the Pew Research Center, only 66% of eligible citizens voted in the 2020 presidential election. Many people claim that they don’t vote because they don’t have any opinions on how the country is run. This is hard to believe, given how much of everyday life is affected by those in office. 

The Constitution was built to protect United States citizens from the government gaining too much power which included the right for everyone to vote. Although one vote can seem insignificant, one vote from each eligible citizen can drastically alter the policies enacted, directly impacting people’s livelihoods and individual rights.  

According to an article by Act Now, “Politicians listen to two things: money and votes. If we work together as a community and increase voter turnout, our state and national legislators will listen to our needs.”

Students are no exception. Voting is one of the first adult opportunities granted which gives them input about how the country is run. They can vote for what they want to happen in areas such as the workforce, education, family life, equality and how they want to be viewed as members of society. Every aspect of one’s life is directly or indirectly affected by politics, and for the first time, students have a say in how it works.

Voting in this Presidential election is an important step for students to take. They are no longer spectators in this country but active participants who will be working, making a living and watching the country grow and change in the years ahead.

Voting goes beyond more than just the next president; it’s a contribution to the United States, stating your opinion to the country as a whole. If you don’t vote in this presidential election, don’t get upset when the country isn’t run how you want it to.