The ideal lunch period

Nishka Sharma

At Dulaney High School (DHS) there are four lunch periods: A, B, C and D, all taking place during the third period, but which lunch period is the best?

Lunch A occurs directly after second period, and is still technically in the morning. Having lunch in the morning should not be considered lunch; it is far too early to have an appetite for an entire lunch at 11:00 a.m.. After having A lunch for the first time my senior year, I rank this lunch period fourth place, because there is no benefit with this lunch period. Lunch B occurs 30 minutes into the third period. With this lunch, the first 30 minutes of the third period are not usually as productive because class ends up starting 5 minutes after the bell. During the first 30 minutes of class, teachers will typically assign quizzes. Sometimes these quizzes can feel rushed. 

Lunch D occurs 1 hour and 30 minutes into period 3 (making it a full period) before lunch. This lunch starts at 12:30 1 p.m. If I had eaten breakfast at 7, waiting till 12:30 p.m. to eat lunch is not ideal. Many students complain about having D lunch, because by this time, a break is needed, and focus significantly decreases. 

The best lunch period is lunch C. It is the optimal time, because you don’t feel too hungry, and when you return to class you only have 30 minutes remaining. After 4 years at Dulaney, and having C lunch five times, I can say it is the most enjoyable lunch period. If you haven’t had lunch C yet, hope that you get it for the various benefits it features. If you have A lunch or D lunch… good luck.