Our mission: to enlighten and to entertain

Local spring adventures

Ashley Stricker

With temperatures rising and flowers blooming, the perfect way to spend a spring day is exploring the state of Maryland. Below are three alternatives to staying home for spring break, at various price ranges.

A spring adventure at no cost

It isn’t called “mini-America” for no reason. Maryland has some of the most beautiful scenery, including Kilgore Falls in Harford County. Around thirty minutes from Cockeysville, you can see the second-highest vertical drop waterfall in the state. Kilgore Falls is open to the public for free, offering two different trails that are bike-able, hike-able and walkable. Many visitors pack lunches and enjoy their meals on the large rocks surrounding the water. A great way to top off your Kilgore Falls experience, if the weather is hot, is to cool off in the 3-4 feet deep stream. Kilgore Falls is the perfect place to spend a spring afternoon alone or with family and friends.

A spring adventure on a budget

One of the best go-to activities during the springtime is to go fruit-picking with a loved one. Late spring brings some of the most delicious strawberries. Lockbriar Farms in Chestertown has gorgeous picking fields that are currently being readied to plant and a seasonal market. To complete your day, consider dining in at the Blue Bird Tavern on Washington Avenue, five minutes from the farm, for their classic American cuisine. With a day trip to Lockbriar Farms and the Blue Bird Tavern, you’ve got yourself a perfect spring adventure on a budget.

A pricier spring adventure

For more of a costly adventure, consider visiting one of the best-ranked amusement parks in the country: Six Flags America in Woodmore, MD. The park is the perfect place to bring family and enjoy over 100 attractions. With Six Flags’ one-day tickets starting at $50, you and your family can stay for the day and dine in at their in-park restaurants. Treat yourself and your loved ones with a day-trip to Six Flags America for a spring adventure filled with roller coasters, restaurants, games and a water park.