Highlights of Art Fest 2024

This year Dulaney High School’s (DHS) art department celebrates 10 years of Art Fest, an event to honor and display fundamentals, GT and AP art classes’ work.

On Thursday May 2, DHS’s auditorium lobby and outdoor amphitheater was filled with nearly 80 people for the 10th annual Art Festival. The event featured live performances, vendors, artwork and student created animations. The theme this year was Genesis, representing human evolution and experiences. 

Visual Arts teacher Dena Fiat describes the impact Art Fest has on the DHS community. 

“Art Fest is a time of culminating greatness. I feel like it’s time to celebrate like all the wins that everyone’s had this year,” said Fiat. 

While each live performance impressed the audience, a couple of dances and songs stood out. Seniors Angelina Drayton and Prudence Munyasa performed a comedy song from My Little Pony called “This Day Aria.” The song follows a princess who gets married but then gets trapped in a cave and is attempting to sing her way out. Drayton and Munyasa’s overall goal was to bring some joy to the audience and make them laugh.

“We did not want to make anyone shed tears or feel sad. This was just a fun light-hearted performance,” said Drayton. 

The performance featured Drayton and Munyasa skillfully acting out intense emotions and an upbeat tune. Drayton and Munyasa both have experience with performing arts from GT Theater class and several DHS productions. 

Another student who went above and beyond for Art Fest is junior Riley Palumbo, performing two dance routines as well as promoting her jewelry business as a vendor. 

Palumbo performed a dance to the songs “Pink and White,” by Frank Ocean and “Run boy Run,” by Woodkid. The dance classes and DHS musical theater experience Palumbo has paid off during her performance as the crowd demonstrated a standing ovation. In addition to her performances, Palumbo was promoting her business, Riley’s Dreamy Jewelry, which was founded in 2020. Palumbo sold her self-made dangling earrings and studs for $12 a piece. 

“I’m hoping this is something people have never seen before because it’s definitely something I have never seen before. I feel it’s very unique and my earrings are definitely a conversation starter,” said Palumbo.

Alongside the performances freshman Gabriella Drayton, a student in Fiat’s fundamental arts class, displayed a canvas created with pastel colored paints. The piece represented Draytons favorite memory, Drayton with her deceased dog.

“This was my best and most inspiring art piece…I want people to take away that you should not take anything for granted, and you should focus on living in the moment,” said Drayton.

Overall, Hopkins expresses that art fest was a success and is looking forward to preparing for next year.