Dulaney High School presents Cinderella

Hannah Smith

Dulaney High School (DHS) presents a high-energy show featuring over 28 songs in a two-hour performance. The cast and new theater director, Hannah Smith, are in the midst of preparations.

This April, the Dulaney Theater Company brings the musical of Cinderella to the stage. In company with Smith, teachers Abigail Fair, Matthew Lovett and Christina Senita will co-direct the show. 

The fairytale follows Ella, a young girl struggling with abuse from her stepmother and stepsisters. By receiving help from her fairy godmother, she finds adventure and romance with a young man named Topher, who becomes her prince. 

Senior Laura Neer plays the role of Cinderella and junior Hunter Weller plays Topher.

Neer mentions how thankful she is for this opportunity. 

“I’m feeling grateful and I’m feeling really honored. Everybody is so supportive and welcoming,” says Neer. 

13 students form the ensemble and nine other students have principal roles. Seven students make up the pit and there are 14 crew members. Smith says she is thrilled to be directing Cinderella as her first musical production at Dulaney.

“I love Cinderella, she is my favorite princess and I knew as my first year teaching I would be excited to go and direct Cindrella after school…even when I was exhausted,” says Smith. 

Students have rehearsed nearly every day after school since January. For many of the cast and crew members, these long days of rehearsals can be tiring, however, their passion for theater is what keeps them coming back each day. 

“I have been performing for such a long time…basically my entire life. I love the community and I have been able to make so many great friends. Theater has just given me so many life opportunities,” says Neer. 

Alongside the tight-knit community of the Dulaney Theater Company, the costume department and crew members go all out for special effects and costumes. Senior Jean Mcgregor, chief of costumes, is changing routine this year by hand-sewing each costume. 

“We are running it a little differently than the past, but the costume department is doing a fantastic job. The pieces they have created so far are beautiful, so creative,” says Smith. 

As far as the “magic” that will be in the show, Smith hopes that Cinderella’s dress transformation, the carriage and animal transformations will grab the audience’s attention the most. As Cinderella’s peasant clothes turn into a ball gown, the pumpkin will turn into a carriage, the mice will turn into horses, the fox into a raccoon and the coachmen into footmen.

“It happens really quick. There are a lot of moving pieces. We’re hoping the crown and the slippers are going to descend from the catwalk above the stage, and as Cinderella is in her peasant clothes, the top is going to fold down and come off and the big blue skirt dress is going to fly out,” says Smith. 

Tickets will be sold at the door, during lunches on April 2 and 3 and are available to purchase online in the bio of the Dulaney instagram @dulaney_theater for $12. The showtimes are April 4 and 5 at 7P.M and April 6 at 1P.M and 7P.M.