Diversify brings back Cultural Coalescence to Dulaney

Khizar Qazi

Cultural Coalescence (CuCo), an event aimed to spread awareness on students’ cultures, will be held for the second time at Dulaney High School (DHS) by Diversify, a student-led nonprofit that teaches people about cultures that are commonly overlooked.

CuCo was first held last year by alumni Caroline Lee. 

“Cultural Coalescence began with the mission of promoting our cultures to the communities around us. While I can not speak for Caroline, I believe she did an amazing job kickstarting it in 2023 and I hope I can preserve her mission this year,” says Diversify’s Chief Executive Officer and Founder, Khizar Qazi, a junior at DHS. 

Though most of Diversify’s work has been online, CuCo is an example of how the nonprofit is gradually bringing more activity-based events to the community. 

“Events like CuCo and organizations like Diversify allow us to preserve the cultures that we have been raised in. Assimilation, just like stigma, occurs so naturally that we don’t even realize it. That’s why we need things like CuCo and Diversify to keep our ancestors alive through our very memories,” says Qazi. 

CuCo is expected to take place in the Classic Cafeteria and will be looking for presenters and performers to participate. This year, CuCo is currently set to be held on April 17 at 6:00 p.m, though the date is subject to change. Attendees can bring trifolds, food and artifacts to present their culture or take on the stage with a cultural performance. 

Those interested in applying to present or perform can check out Diversify’s instagram @diversify.npo for details about applications or sign up with this link: https://forms.gle/SQHpYvkVJXVjfWio9

This spring, Diversify plans to hold a bake sale in conjunction with Diapalela, a program in Baltimore County aimed at raising school opportunities for children. Additionally, Diversify will hold a cultural book-making event where the book will be published and donated to the Baltimore County Public Library.