History teachers celebrate 2024 graduates

Nady Alkheshen

Dulaney seniors are invited to display their final college decisions on the chalkboards of two teachers’ classrooms.

John Wagner teaches Advanced Placement United States History and Advanced Placement European History. For almost two decades, Wagner has made it a tradition to write the names of students and their future colleges on his backboard. This will be the first year since the COVID-19 pandemic that this tradition has been reintroduced.

Continuing this tradition is US History teacher Daniel Lahatte, who has exhibited his students’ college decisions on his back board for the past 5 years. As a prior student of Wagner’s, Lahatte recalls his own excitement when informing Wagner of his future plans. 

“I see my name on the board along with a bunch of my classmates as a small way to just kind of honor the successes and the journeys that people are going to take…whether that is a four-year college, a two-year institution or some other type of program,” said Lahatte.

Students who have been displayed on Lahatte’s board have mostly consisted of his students and soccer or tennis players whom he coached.

“Generally, it’s somebody who I have a relationship with…but generally not not too many restrictions…to celebrate as many students as possible,” said Lahatte. 

Lahatte also hopes to broaden students’ options.  

“You also get a little bit of introduction…and maybe it even just opens up a couple more doors for students to investigate…you hear a lot about Maryland or Towson or UMBC, but there are a lot of exciting colleges, institutions and universities that can best serve our young learners,” said Lahatte. 

Both Lahatte and Wagner want to honor the hard work all students have put into their high school years. Their chalkboards serve as a way to show appreciation for graduating Dulaney students and allow peers to recognize one another’s accomplishments.