Undefeated debate team progresses to states

Debate Team

Dulaney High School’s (DHS) debate team is thriving with five undefeated competitions this year. Topic Analyst Faith Zhao shares her team’s successful stats.

DHS’s debate club has continued their success into the 2023-2024 school year. With four in-person victories and one online, the team is currently 23-0 and has one more competition before entering states. 

Due to inclement weather, the most recent debate competition was held online through a Zoom meeting on Jan. 20. This was a disappointment to the DHS Debate Team, as competing students faced audio malfunctions and unreliable partner communication. 

“The kids weren’t able to be with their partners, so instead of whispering and planning with each other during their prep-time, they had to be texting,” says club sponsor Deborah Hamilton.

Despite the atypical competition, the top two winners were DHS teams: Zhao and senior Anukool Joshi, along with seniors Ben Weiner and Max Edwards. 

“Right now, my partner and I are ranked third in the circuit…we’re hoping to send at least three of our teams to state’s, which is pretty impressive,” says Faith Zhao.

DHS’s Debate Team hopes to maintain their invincible status at State Competitions and bring it along to National Competitions in the spring, held in Chicago, IL.