Dulaney Lions Roar! Marching Band performs for feeder schools

Katherine Schuztman

On Jan. 29, Dulaney High School’s (DHS) Lions’ Roar Marching Band traveled to Ridgely and Cockeysville Middle Schools to perform for seventh and eighth-grade students. Current junior drum majors and marching band directors speak about the purpose and success of this trip.

In previous years, the marching band also performed for several local elementary schools. Due to their upcoming Disney World trip, the band did not perform for any elementary schools this year, instead opting for a one-day trip to both middle schools.

“We went just to the middle schools because they’re our direct feeders, and [wanted to] get them interested about music at Dulaney, specifically the marching band,” said Christina Donall, DHS music teacher and co-director of the marching band.

This year’s performance includes a stand-still rendition of their field show, Level Up, and other pieces and choreography from the Color Guard.

“After [the field show], we follow up with some of our football stand tunes and some of just our other little pep tunes that we might play…throughout the year,” said Wyatt Batton, one of two assistant drum majors. 

Batton added that the middle school band teachers contribute to their performance. Typically, they supplement the show by volunteering their experiences with high school and college music and marching bands. 

“Most of [the middle school music teachers] had done their programs in high school,” said Batton.

The purpose of the trip was partially for recruitment next school year, as eighth graders will be eligible to join in their freshman year. The marching band hopes to inspire students to continue with music throughout middle school and into high school, showing them the musical opportunities available as they progress. 

“It’s just a way to promote music in general, whether they [the students] come to Dulaney or Towson,” said Donall.

“Just bringing more kids into a program [marching band] that is really just life-changing,” said Batton. 

Batton commented on his hopes for next year’s performance, noting that the trip this year was successful.

“My hope for next year is…we get more members and more people who are enthusiastic about either seeing the marching band or being a part of it,” said Batton. 

Open tryouts will begin in May for any DHS students interested in Marching Band. Contact Donall or Sofinowski in the library or by email if interested.