Our mission: to enlighten and to entertain

Students prepare for junior interviews

Roxanne Hays

Select members of the community will descend upon the Dulaney High School library on March 19 and 20, 2024 to conduct the annual junior interviews. Teacher Jessica Carlson shares her tips to underclassmen anticipating their interviews.

Although Dulaney High School’s (DHS) 2024 junior interviews can cause stress, preparation and tips from experienced peers can bring confidence.

“I love junior interviews. It is a great opportunity for every student to experience a professional interview,” says DHS teacher Jessica Carlson.

Prior to the interview, students should create a professional resume that portrays their work experience, extracurriculars and notable skills. The resume will be reviewed during the 10-15 minute interview by a DHS community member, often an alumni, volunteering their time as an interviewer.

“Students work through the resume writing process in their English classes, then have a chance to put it into action,” says Carlson.

Interviewers and staff suggest juniors wear their best business wear to appear professional and tidy. This can include formal pants, ties, business dresses, khakis and dress shirts. It is strongly suggested to avoid sweatpants, hoodies, graphics and tennis shoes.

Junior interviews help prepare students for real-world interview scenarios. Stuttering, awkwardness and tension is common and expected. It is important to stay relaxed, comfortable and honest.

“Remember, the interviewers are just like students, just older and more experienced…They are not scary,” says Carlson.

To further prepare, students can ask experienced seniors for more preparation and performance tips.