Our mission: to enlighten and to entertain

Dulaney revives dance team after Covid hiatus

Ribb

The Dulaney High School (DHS) dance team will showcase their talents with upcoming hip-hop performances in their first year back since the 2019-2020 season.

After a short break due to Covid-19 and lack of participation, DHS’ Dance Team has returned with dances choreographed by captains Senior Brooke Koska, Senior Joyce Yu and Junior Shivani Mutreja. Captains are responsible for choreography, auditions and class plans as advisor Deborah McWilliams observes.

The team captains frequently watch videos from previous performances. 

“We thought it would be really fun and so we wanted to bring it back,” say Mutreja and Yu.

Auditions are held by the captains in September. Although experience is not required, judging is primarily based on how quickly choreography is learned.  

Practice is held after school on Wednesdays. A typical practice routine includes individual warm-ups, working on choreography and running routines. 

While there currently aren’t any scheduled performances, the team plans to perform at basketball games throughout the season. Koska vocalizes their hopes for the future of DHS’s dance team. 

“We hope to do more fun choreography and more upcoming performances and to hold more auditions to allow more people an opportunity,” says Koska. 

The team is excited and prepared to overcome setbacks and display their talent as they carry on the DHS Dance Team legacy.