Dulaney marching band enters national Metallica contest

Katherine Schutzman

The Dulaney High School (DHS) Lion’s Roar! Marching Band has entered into a national marching band contest hosted by the rock band Metallica. By performing Metallica’s “Master of Puppets,” the DHS marching band has a chance to win up to $15,000 worth of band equipment.

The contest welcomes marching bands from across the country to enter by performing a song from a selection of Metallica’s greatest hits. A band can enter into their respective category by uploading a video of the performance to YouTube and emailing the video to the contest.

“[The contest] is just their way to give back to musicians that might not always be the focus of their music…It brings a light onto us that usually is not shined on,” says marching band director Christina Donall.

Submissions closed on Nov. 16. From the submissions, judges have selected five finalists from each category. These finalists will be judged by band members of Metallica to decide on each category’s winner. 

The general public will be allowed to cast their vote for one submission each to decide on a “fan favorite” band for each category. Students and parents can vote by visiting https://www.metallicamarchingband.com and selecting “VOTE #HSDULANEY” in the high school category or by messaging  “VOTE #HSDULANEY” to 833-609-0330. Voting closes midnight on Dec. 31. All contest winners will be announced the week of Jan. 1.

DHS is one of two bands from Maryland to enter into the high school category of the competition. The Lion’s Roar Marching Band entered by incorporating Metallica’s “Master of Puppets” into their Super Mario themed field show, “Level Up,” which also includes “Hide and Seek,” by Imogen Heap and “Holding Out for a Hero,” by Bonnie Tyler.

The marching band will be traveling to Twain’s Tavern for an event hosted by WBAL 98Rock Radio on Thursday Dec. 21 to perform their rendition of “Master of Puppets.”