Gifting on a budget this holiday season

Nayeli Portillo

High schoolers are expected to purchase gifts for loved ones as the holiday season approaches. This guide aids Dulaney High School (DHS) students in finding gifts under $15.

December is an exciting yet stressful time for high schoolers. In the weeks before winter break, students juggle assignments from school, college applications, jobs, internships and keeping up with social life. With the holidays approaching, students often purchase gifts for family members, teachers, friends or romantic partners. 

Financial restrictions often influence how much money should be spent on gifts. Furthermore, deciding what to buy is complicated. 

“I struggle with buying gifts for my dad the most…I have a job that helps me purchase gifts, and I spend around $500 in December,” said junior Isabeth Lamont. 

Many DHS students struggle with buying gifts for their parents. 

“I struggle with buying gifts for my parents the most…it is hard to buy them something because they say they don’t need anything,” said senior Lily Xu. 

One alternative idea is handmade gifts. Handmade gifts add personalization and love. 

“Sometimes I like to make handmade gifts for my friends: I crochet flowers and make bracelets,” said Xu.  

Other general gift ideas include makeup and skin care products, clothing, books, jewelry, stuffed toys, cologne, perfume or board games.

For women, more gift ideas include makeup sets or skin care. Hats, gloves, scarves, fuzzy slippers, pajamas can be gifted to almost anyone. Books, jewelry, stuffed toys for children. Shaving sets, cologne, socks, board games for men. For a boyfriend or girlfriend, something personalized, matching pj sets or matching jewelry. At the end of the day, the thought is what counts, not the monetary value.