Poll

How did you hear about our newest edition?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No feed found.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.

Students benefit from learning Spanish as a world language

Ashlyn Hoffmann

The most popular of the four languages offered at Dulaney High School (DHS) is Spanish. Students enrolled in Spanish class and teachers discuss how learning the language benefits its students.The most popular of the four languages offered at Dulaney High School (DHS) is Spanish. Students enrolled in Spanish class and teachers discuss how learning the language benefits its students.

“Learning another language is like having another soul, it’s food for your brain, and everyone should experience that,” said Spanish teacher Heidi Rios.

Spanish is the most prominent language spoken in America besides English. This alone is often a reason students choose to study Spanish. 

“I work outside of school and have customers who speak Spanish and I’m able to talk to them,” said AP Spanish 6 student Alice Lu. 

The Spanish teachers had similar viewpoints. 

“Interactions will be so much easier if you speak Spanish. At some point in your life, everyone will need to interact with someone who speaks Spanish, so it’s the most practical,” said Rios.

Spanish’s presence in the United States has proven to be larger than just the language, as the culture has also had a significant influence in American life. 

“I took Spanish for granted when I was little. When you’re younger you don’t understand the value but once you go out into the real world and the workforce you realize how rich Spanish culture is in America, and how important it is to have a part in that,” said Eva Vanhorn, the English for Students of Other Languages (ESOL) coordinator who grew up speaking Spanish. 

Vanhorn shared that learning Spanish at a young age makes it easier and more natural. Spanish teachers Ashley Daughaday and Elizabeth Thomas agree that Spanish should be a school subject starting young.

“[Elementary Spanish] should be more common because when you’re that young, your brain soaks it up,” said Dauaday, who was an elementary Spanish teacher before transferring to Dulaney.

In addition to Spanish’s heavy relevance in day-to-day life, some say it’s one of the easiest second languages to learn as an English speaker.

“Out of all the languages I’ve learned. Spanish is actually the easiest. It has the closest connection to English,” said Spanish teacher Paola Frumin-Bercik.

Aside from grammar, “Spanish is fairly similar to English, making it quite simple to pick up,” said Migni Dong from AP Spanish 6.

As AP Spanish 5 student Maeve Brinkley shared, “Spanish is all around us, making it easy to access. There are always resources.” 

Not only is Spanish relevant and beneficial, it can also be fun to learn. 

“I want students to know that it doesn’t have to be a hard class. It can really be fun with the right resources. Connect with your teacher, and classmates,” said Vanhorn.

Upper level Spanish classes also tend to be smaller. “There are only five of us in our class so it’s personal and fun,” said Lu.

Taking any second language in high school is beneficial, but due to Spanish’s connection to English, interesting culture and relevance in America, many people believe it’s the best one to take.

This article is part of a series about the languages offered at Dulaney High School.