Our mission: to enlighten and to entertain

Poll

How did you hear about our newest edition?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No feed found.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.

Club approval process proves competitive

Julia Treger/Ava O’donnell

Dulaney High School’s (DHS) Student Government Organization (SGO) has become more selective in their club approval process. Junior Heidi Giesler and Sophomore’s Lucy Springer, Julia Treger, Maegan Price and Ava O’donnell inform students how to get a club approved.

DHS kicked off the 2023-2024 school year with five new clubs. This year’s Club Rush flooded the auditorium lobby with club missions and student leaders. 

Students are required to fill out an application specifying the club’s mission, ideas, and overview. Next, students are to find a DHS teacher willing to sponsor their club. Then, students create a presentation for SGO to evaluate. Junior Heidi Giesler described her club presentation process as a nerve-racking experience.

“I get very nervous speaking in front of people. It’s never been my strong suit, so I was really proud of myself when I finished it,” said Giesler.

Ultimately, Geisler’s club was denied because the SGO determined it was too similar to other clubs at DHS. Giesler understood and accepted the SGO’s response but was disappointed.

Heidi Giesler

According to a very recent addition to Dulaney’s clubs, Students Who Care, led by sophomores Lucy Springer, Julia Treger, Maegan Price and Ava O’donnell, the club acceptance process can go smoothly when a direct objective is present. The girls formed their club pitch quickly over the summer and presented it to the SGO within a few weeks.

“I feel like it was only a day or two,” Lucy Springer said about the time frame between their club presentation and the SGO’s decision.

The girls were thrilled to be accepted by the SGO and plan to start Students Who Care meetings on Thursday mornings before school. They work toward raising awareness for homeless individuals all over the county and supporting them at various events such as soup kitchens, clothing drives and other volunteer projects.