Poll

How did you hear about our newest edition?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No feed found.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.

Dulaney water source contaminated by parasite

Baltimore City Department of Public Works

Tuesday, Sept. 26, the Baltimore City Department of Public Works (DPW) received results from routine testing on the Druid Lake Reservoir in Timonium showing low level contamination of a microscopic protozoan called Cryptosporidium, commonly referred to as Crypto. 

The Druid Lake Reservoir supplies water to Dulaney High School and surrounding areas; however, Dulaney administration has advised against consuming water from school taps for years due to the possibility of lead.

This parasite can cause cryptosporidiosis, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which may result in temporary gastrointestinal problems like diarrhea, stomach cramps or nausea. For the general public, low levels of Crypto are not problematic, and any reaction would likely be minor and resolve itself without medical attention. However, for the immunocompromised, the CDC recommends avoiding the contaminated water and either drinking bottled water, boiling tap water for 1 minute before drinking, or using “a filter labeled to ANSI/NSF 53 or 58 standards, or a filter designed to remove objects 1 micron or larger. These may be labeled ‘absolute 1 micron.’ (i.e., not Brita-type filters)” (DPW).

Crypto is most commonly spread through drinking and recreational water, according to Johns Hopkins Medicine and the CDC. This parasite is the leading cause of waterborne illness in the United States, but the traced levels in Druid Lake are low enough to dismiss most concern, according to the DPW.

As of Monday October 3, the DPW reported that the latest parasite tests came back negative, but continue to advise caution for the immunocompromised.

1
View Comments (1)
$200
$1000

Katherine Schutzman
Katherine Schutzman, Editor-in-Chief
Senior and Editor-in-Chief Katherine Schutzman is a Gilmore Girls-obsessed third-year staff writer and The Griffin Instagram manager. She and her car, Gilda, can often be found in the Starbucks drive-thru or at marching band rehearsal.
$200
$1000

• D

Denise SpeaksOct 6, 2023 at 9:01 am

As of Oct 3rd, DPW is reporting a negative reading on the water in Druid Park reservoir. Isn’t it strange as of Oct 5th, 311 has not been notified. What is going on with Baltimore City????

Reply