Olszewski Plans to Build New Dulaney Building (Again)

Esha Singhai, Editor

For years now, parents, students and teachers alike have expressed their concerns about the inefficiencies of the Dulaney High building. From undrinkable lead water to ceilings falling apart, it is clear that Dulaney is in need of major renovations–and more ideally–a new building. 

Since 2016, Dulaney High parents have been voicing their concerns to Baltimore County, hoping to influence officials to start the construction of a new school building. Jennifer Tarr and PTSA President Yara Cheikh are among these parents. Despite proposals from the county in 2017 that would have allocated $40 million to renovating Dulaney, Tarr and Cheikh expressed that this was not a feasible solution to the issue at hand. 

In an interview with ABC2 in 2016, Cheikh noted the importance of considering Baltimore County’s aging infrastructure–especially the fact that Dulaney’s life expectancy is 60 years. With the school being built in 1965, Dulaney rapidly approaches this mark in 2025, causing renovations to become less of a sustainable solution. 

Thankfully, as of February 1, County Executive Johnny Olszewski announced that a new building would be constructed for Dulaney High. This feat only came to fruition due to new sources of funding that can finally make the dream of many Baltimore County residents a reality. Olszewski noted in his plan that a portion of the funding for the new building will come from Governor Larry Hogan’s $1 billion proposed budget for school construction. The remaining tens of millions of dollars will be funded by the Healthy School Facilities fund and the Maryland Stadium Authority. In addition to the new infrastructure being built, Olszewski also plans to invest in the Career Technology Education and STEAM programs for Dulaney students. 

Despite this victory, it is still unknown when this new building will be completed. As of now, Dulaney students will continue to attend the current building until the new school has been completely constructed. Dulaney High families still have long ways to go in terms of ensuring that this new building accurately serves the needs of the community.