Sequel celebrates 30th edition

Audrey Bartholomew, Staff Writer

This school year marks the 30th print edition of Sequel, Dulaney’s creative arts magazine, which began in 1988 and has since earned prestigious awards including the Student Work Crown Award from Columbia Scholastic Press Association for the 2016-2017 edition.

Class adviser, Meekah Hopkins, began teaching English at Dulaney in 2004, taking over Sequel in 2009 after the retirement of the previous adviser, Brian Boston, who ran the publication as an after-school club. The magazine lacked notoriety along with a high publication cost, often struggling to come up with the funds to get by.

“At one point there were only five people in Sequel. It was about begging people to submit their work,” Hopkins said.

Another deterrent was the way that creative writing was offered to students, originally a semester course.

“Creative writing was a one-shot deal with no other connection.” Hopkins said.

Noticing this problem, Hopkins pitched Sequel to her department chair as an advanced creative writing class that teaches students publication, design, and professional writing. The course is directly aimed at impassioned students with a talent for writing and art of any kind, and anyone willing to try.

“You just by virtue of the class become stronger at whatever it is you’re passionate about.” Hopkins said

Over the past nine years that Hopkins has held the position of adviser for the group, Sequel effectively markets themselves with art installations and the production of their “WORD.” shirts, selling at the same price of their magazine at ten dollars flat.

When asked what the strengths of the magazine are this year, titled “Visceral”, Hopkins cites the age diversity and the cohesiveness of art and writing featured.

“Every grade level is represented and that’s something that doesn’t happen very often. I’m really proud of that.” Hopkins said.

But, the work is far from over for Hopkins in cultivating Sequel to be the best that it can be.

“I really wish that people who ‘only had time’ for AP classes would give it a shot. School is so serious to some people, and they forget that they’re talented because they’re so focused on the grade,” Hopkins said