Hashing it out with Hogan

Olivia Summons, Editor-in-Chief

Perhaps the extensive timeline of renovation propositions has come to an end. Editor-in-chief Olivia Summons interviewed Maryland Governor Larry Hogan, who delivered an optimistic outlook onto the future of the Dulaney building.

When asked what set Dulaney High School apart from other schools in Baltimore County regarding their demands for a new school, Hogan declared it a matter of state funding.

“We were providing state funding to get this problem taken care of, because we couldn’t convince the county to move forward on a new school. And now they’re going to. So one way or the other we’re still going to get the issues fixed,” Hogan said.

With the prospect of a new school on the horizon, questions surrounding the facets of the new building arose. Hogan stressed both environmental and technological concerns.

“Environmental issues are very important to us, and should be to the board of education as well. I’m sure with the new school facility we’re going to be able to upgrade the technology as well. It’s something we’re really focused on in Annapolis,” Hogan said.

But there are currently over 14 elementary schools in Baltimore County without air conditioning, which begs the question, why Dulaney?

“We’ve been pushing hard, the comptroller and I, trying to get the county to focus on these problems. There’s only two jurisdictions in the whole state that haven’t fixed their air conditioning and that’s Baltimore County and Baltimore City. Hopefully they’ll finally take it seriously at some point,” Hogan said.

The debate over renovation versus rebuilding may still continue when the majority of the Baltimore County Council wrote a letter Feb. 3, to County Executive Kevin Kamenetz saying they oppose his recently announced plans for a new school building.

But Hogan, when asked if he could officially confirm that the money had been allocated for a new Dulaney, could not confirm.