Teachers discuss summer break plans

Clockwise from top left: D. Fiat, S. Reynolds, P. Dougherty, B. Velton

Anticipation grows as summer break draws closer for the Dulaney High School (DHS) community. Teachers are planning the upcoming season, including secondary jobs, vacations, or preparing for the next school year.

Art teacher Dena Fiat plans to go camping with her family at the spot in Maine she visited when she was her children’s age.

“Every year we try to go to a different part of the United States,” says Fiat.

Fiat also adds how she hopes for her family and DHS students to take some time to volunteer in their community.

Math teacher Stacy Reynolds will spend much of her time preparing for her new position as math department chair over the summer. Reynolds still plans to get to the beach during the summer with a vacation to Surf City, N.C.

Reynolds also would like to remind students to stay safe over break.

“We want to see you back next year, so make good choices over the summer!” says Reynolds.

World and military history teacher Brian Velten will take a trip to Deep Creek Lake, Md., bring his son to hockey camps and work his pressure washing side business.

Additionally, Velten advises students to enjoy breaks to the fullest.

“Enjoy every moment of summer. It goes by too quickly,” says Velten.

Engineering teacher Patrick Dougherty plans to become certified in using Autodesk Inventor, a 3D modeling software used in the engineering courses offered at DHS.

“It’s just another way to boost my knowledge of everything I teach here,” says Dougherty.

As the head of the school’s robotics program, Dougherty will attend a conference in St. Louis, featuring event partners from all over the world. 

Additionally, Dougherty plans to host game nights with his friends throughout the summer.