Our mission: to enlighten and to entertain

Teachers offer post-graduation advice

As the class of 2024 prepares for the next chapter of their lives, teachers at Dulaney High School (DHS) offer some tips for the future.

Mike Lashley teaches Earth Systems and Paramedical Biology at DHS.

“My advice to the seniors would be to do things when you are done here. Don’t just sit on your phones. Don’t just stay in the same groups you have. Go expand life. Do things. Go explore new places. Go try new activities. Just get out there and do stuff. Don’t be comfortable in the world that you’re in,” said Lashley. 

Steven Binko teaches Algebra 2, College Algebra and Trigonometry at DHS. He mentions that his door is always open for students to talk to. 

“Always watch your back, go for it, and remember it’s not what you’re worth, it’s what you negotiate. Always remember that, and good luck in the future,” said Binko. 

Glenna Penner, AP and Honors Literature teacher at DHS, has a strong connection with her senior students. She hopes to offer insight based on her experiences.  

“If a professor calls you at home and invites you to an awards ceremony, you should go,” said Penner. 

Martin Lopez is an Honors English teacher at DHS. Known to be welcoming and honest with his students, Lopez hopes to offer some last advice. 

“Be happy. The world is going to give you all kinds of expectations about what you should do, whether that’s work or school or anything along those lines. Be happy first. And I think success will come later,” said Lopez. 

Laura Turner teaches Honors Psychology and Honors World History, as well as Personal Finance and Economic Theory (PFET), a graduation requirement for DHS seniors.

“Don’t be too hard on yourself. Things aren’t going to necessarily go the way you expected or the way you planned, but that means there’s a different path planned for you and that you’re heading in the direction you’re meant to go,” said Turner. 

Brian Velton teaches World History and PFET. With active involvement in multiple senior events and activities, such as the selling of Senior Prom tickets and coordination of senior caps and gowns, he has created friendships with seniors at DHS. 

“When you get a job, take your earbuds out,” said Velton.