Our mission: to enlighten and to entertain

Sports captains reflect on senior seasons

John Bowers & Amani Griffin

Dulaney High School (DHS) seniors Mia Connor, Olivia Hetherington and Jayden Queen reflect on their leadership experiences as captains of varsity sports teams.

Connor and Hetherington shared captain responsibilities for the women’s varsity soccer team during the fall season. As both were a part of the varsity team since freshman year, Connor and Hetherington made it a goal to become captains. 

At the beginning of the soccer season, Connor and Hetherington’s goal became reality, as they were voted to be captains alongside teammate Maya Cirrincione. 

Hetherington states that since then her leadership skills have grown as well as her communication skills. She also learned patience and better accountability. Connor learned how to be observant, consistently prepared and organization skills. 

The girls shared responsibilities like making a job chart for both teams, making sure everyone had the right equipment and uniform and handling altercations between teammates. 

These roles allowed the girls to see the team from a new perspective. 

“Being captain changed my view of the team because it revealed problems that I did not previously see that I was now in charge to fix,” said Connor. 

Connor took on the challenge of being captain for two teams during her senior year. Currently, Connor is one of the captains for Varsity lacrosse. Connor is not the only senior who has stepped into the role more than once this year. Jayden Queen was one of the varsity football captains and is now a captain for varsity track. 

Queen had a different experience with becoming captain. Unlike Connor and Hetherington, who had made it as a goal since freshman year. Queen did not see himself becoming a captain at the beginning of his high school career. As Queen continued to dedicate himself to the sports, the role became more suitable and attainable for him and after the coaches voted he became one of the captains. 

Queen is appreciative of his roles, and despite not searching for it, he seems to fit it quite well because of his love for the teams. He is grateful for this opportunity. 

Having to fill shoes of the last captains before has been a cool experience to be a part of and so has building on to the history of DHS captains,” said Queen. 

While taking on these roles, Queen learned stronger public speaking and leadership skills. He states that the role has prepared him for the real world. Queen also believes this role has bettered him as a person overall. 

It molded me into, not a new person, but I have seen growth within myself. I have become more mature,” said Queen.

With senior year coming to a close, this role has provided Connor, Hetherington and Queen with memories they can cherish and skills that they can carry with them to college.