Seniors recognize most influential teachers at Dulaney

At Dulaney High School (DHS) four seniors share the teachers that left the biggest impact on their high school career. From teaching styles to advice, these four teachers inspired and motivated their students.

Senior Max Edwards shares his appreciation for Jason Bowman, who teaches AP Research, Films and History and Honors English. 

“He’s so kind, funny, wise but not old. He is like my Yoda. He gives great advice regarding my future. He has been teaching for a long time; his teaching style is awesome. He lets us work in groups,” said Edwards.  

Edwards emphasizes Bowman’s storytelling and how it keeps class entertaining. 

“Telling our class stories about college and growing up is my favorite memory of his class,” said Edwards. 

Edwards jokingly warns future students about Bowman.  

“He is a very fast guy, run fast or he’ll catch you,” said Edwards.

Senior Kerrie Bynum expresses her gratitude for Ashlynn Campbell who teaches AP Seminar, GT English 9 and Standard English. 

“I’ve known her since ninth grade and she has always been one of the biggest supporters of my life. She is also the advisor for the National English Honors Society (NEHS) which I am a big part of. We interact a lot and I spend a lot of time in her classroom; she offers me so much encouragement, words of wisdom and support,” said Bynum. 

One thing that Bynum mentions is Campbell’s specific teaching style as well as her passion for English. She emphasizes how Campbell genuinely cares for her students. 

“Her teaching style is very personal, she knows a lot about English and loves it. She takes her time with grading and leaves good feedback. She wants all her students to love English the way she does. She values and cares for her students and I really appreciated that,” said Bynum. 

Bynum wants all of Dulaney to get to know Ms. Campbell. 

“Everyone should get to know Ms. Campbell because she is such a good person to have here at DHS,” said Bynum.

Senior Olivia Hetherington shares that her most influential teacher at DHS was undoubtedly Thomas Maranville, who teaches AP Psychology and Films and History. 

“He was very entertaining, and he made me want to work hard. He made me want to get up and go to school everyday and go to this class through the time coming back from COVID. Junior year I would always go into his class with friends and we became best friends. He always made me feel very special and remember the little things I told him,” said Hetherington. 

One thing that differentiated Mr. Maranville was his approach to teaching. His story telling positively impacted his students. 

“Mr. Maranville had a very interesting class, but the way he taught, the stories he shared, for example he would say an AP Psychology term and tell a story. I would be in my test and think about his friend Steve or his wife, or his previous girlfriends, and was able to connect those stories to my FRQ terms,” said Hetherington.

Before she leaves for college, Hetherington wants Mr. Maranville to know how much of an impact he left. 

“If I could take Mr. Maranville’s class every single year, I would. I am going to miss him so much,” said Hetherington.

Senior Marcus Lapinski distinguishes his influential teacher as Adam Sutton, who teaches AP Economics Micro, AP Economics Macro and Personal Finance.  

“Mr. Sutton genuinely cares about each and every one of his students and enjoys his job. He does daily check-ins with every student and makes personal connections and conversations with everyone. He wants us to learn and be engaged. He is willing to negotiate and plan out what would be best for you. He also looks dapper and has sent personal letters to students, which made me feel special,” said Lapinski. 

Mr. Sutton’s teaching style is reassuring in that his students aren’t afraid to make mistakes.

“He wants to hear questions and help teach what is actually important. I like the availability of test corrections and reviews, so that you can actually learn from your mistakes. My favorite part of his style is that he will let you pick what you want,” said Lapinski. 

Something unique about Mr. Sutton is his saying, “All choices involve costs,” which Lapinski took to heart. 

“His saying that I love from the beginning of the year is “All choices involve costs,” which he follows perfectly. He will let you do what you want, but will ensure you know what the consequences are. He won’t stop you from making a decision that affects you,” said Lapinski.