Seniors pursue unique post-graduation opportunities

Brooke Koska and Megan Taylor

Though many students choose to pursue higher education following high school, this path may not be the right choice for others. Dulaney High School (DHS) seniors Brooke Koska and Megan Taylor plan to follow more individualized paths after they graduate in late May.

Koska intends to begin a year of traveling while enrolled in a virtual community college following graduation. She grew up in a family that enjoyed camping, so she isn’t new to adventure.

“My dad is really into camping and traveling and all that stuff, so he’s really jealous, but that means he’s really invested in what I’m doing,” said Koska. 

Koska met her friend Eve Moran while working at Plato’s Closet and realized that her wishes to travel aligned with that of Moran’s, leading to their eventual decision to do so as a duo.

“We were talking about how we wanted to travel, and then we actually got serious about it,” said Koska.

Koska became inspired to travel when she saw a TikTok about van life in 2020. Though she quickly came to realize that certain aspects of that specific lifestyle may be out of her price range, she and Moran came up with the alternative of purchasing an RV off of Facebook Marketplace. The two are in the process of preparing their vehicle for their departure in September when they will make their first stop in Maine. Though they intend to stay along the East Coast prior to the winter holidays, Koska mentioned her excitement to see places like Washington, Colorado and Vermont and to visit friends at colleges across the country.

Like Koska, Taylor’s future plans are unlike those of many of her classmates. Taylor plans to begin working full time in June at Advanced Indoor Resources, a heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) company at which she has been an apprentice since her junior year. She also intends to take night classes at Baltimore’s ABC Trade School in the fall, all paid for by her company.

“I see myself staying at this company for as long as I can,” said Taylor. “It’s been a really great environment for me, and this company is also continuing to grow and establish its own roots as I do, so I like that, in a way, we can both start on our next journey together.”

After two years of trade school following her experience at Advanced Indoor Resources and Dulaney’s HVAC program, Taylor will receive her journeyman’s license, a necessary certification for her to become a full-fledged employee. She also hopes to earn her master’s license in the future.

Though she is grateful for the constant support of her coworkers, Taylor acknowledges facing gender stereotypes as a woman working in a male-dominated field.

“Automatically, I get underestimated, and that can sometimes throw me off and discourage me, but I also remind myself that that’s just bound to happen, and all I can do is choose how I’m going to respond and react to that, and I just use that to my empowerment,” said Taylor.

Taylor has been honored for her work in HVAC both in and outside of school, winning awards such as the Maryland Youth Apprenticeship Award and the Outstanding CTE Senior Award. While her intended path is unconventional compared to many other seniors, she is confident that the strides she has made toward her future are in her best interests.

“It took a lot of work to get to where I am today, but college is not for everybody, and I think I’m going to be pretty successful without it,” said Taylor.

Though many choose to pursue a college education immediately following high school, Koska and Taylor offer reminders that post-graduation life is not one size fits all and that exploring one’s options can often be to their benefit.