Our mission: to enlighten and to entertain

Promposal phenomenon sweeps through class of 2024

Prom season is in full swing and many seniors have spent the last few months wondering whether their potential dates will ask the big question. Dulaney High School seniors share details on the promposals they have received and their thoughts on the classic high school tradition.

Carolynn Schaefer and Tylan Kilic

A couple of two and a half years, Carolynn Schaefer and Tylan Kilic connected their promposal to their shared love for Crumbl Cookie. Kilic’s sister inspired the promposal. 

“My sister came up with a joke involving Crumbl and I just adapted it,” said Kilic. 

Although they are already a couple, doing a promposal was important to them. Schaefer received the promposal with surprise and excitement. 

“He did it when he dropped me off at my house and he was like ‘oh I forgot something in the back of my trunk,’” said Schaefer. 

Maya Tarantino and Roman Kaminski

Roman Kaminski surprised Maya Tarantino with a promposal at her lacrosse team dinner with a sign and flowers. 

“I was a little bummed because I didn’t think I was going to have a prom date so when he came I was really surprised and it gave me reassurance,” said Tarantino. 

Though having a prom date is valued by many students, teens have shifted to more technologically modern methods of asking, making promposals less popular among students. 

“I think they are fun. I think in our generation we tend to do more over the phone and the boldness has gone away so it’s nice to have someone put together a gesture for you,” said Tarantino.

Mia Connor and Anthony Anselmi 

Mia Connor received a surprise promposal from Anthony Anselmi that included flowers and a sign. Connor is thrilled that she will be able to go to prom with her good friends, making it a more enjoyable experience. 

“Promposals can lead to the anticipation of prom night because now you know you have someone to take pictures with and someone to call your date,” said Connor.

Ava Barnes

Despite the importance placed on having a prom date, not all students agree that a date is necessary on this long awaited night. Ava Barnes hopes to make the most out of prom night alongside the people who mean a lot to her: her friends. 

“Promposals are cute and can help a lot of people during this stressful time at the end of the year, However, I think it’s better to go with friends because it’s better to share one of your last high school experiences with people you’ve known all your life,” said Barnes. 

Many seniors agree that prom is a night they have looked forward to since the first day of freshman year and traditions like promposals contribute to the excitement. Whether it’s a promposal consisting of a creative sign, sweet treat, or personalized gift, promposals are a memorable moment for seniors.