Gioffreda competes for place on paralympic swim team

Megan Gioffreda

Megan Giofredda has been swimming since she was two years old and qualified for the United States of America (USA) Parapan American Games Santiago in 2023.

Gioffreda began swimming competitively at 8 years old before joining the Paralympics 2 years later. Her first paralympic meet was at the University of Cincinnati in Ohio, where her motivation for swimming bloomed.

“It was very nice and a good eye opening experience for me,” said Gioffreda. 

In April 2023, Gioffreda traveled to Indiana for the Para Swimming World Series and achieved  qualifying times for the Paralympic Pan American Games. Gioffreda finished her first Para PanAm Game in Santiago, Chile in November 2023. She won three medals including a bronze in 100 backstroke, silver in 50 freestyle, and a gold in 200 individual medley. 

“As swimming is an independent sport, my victories have given me a new perspective on life. You’re in your own lane. You need to worry about your times and your performance. Kind of like track and field in a way, but this is silent because you’re underwater, so it’s all in your own head,” said Gioffreda.

Gioffreda just finished her Para Swimming World Series meet last week in Indiana. She has trials at the University of Minnesota in June for the Paris Paralympics. By late June, Gioffreda will know if she is attending the Paralympics.