Looking into past Dulaney theater performances

Dulaney Heritage Yearbook 1986

Dulaney High School’s (DHS) theater company has existed almost as long as the school itself. Throughout this time, the group has put on countless shows and kept the spirit of theater alive at DHS.

DHS opened in 1962. That same school year the new theater company put on its first production of “Down in the Valley,” a one-act folk opera. In 1964, the school put on its production of “Bye Bye Birdie,” an upbeat musical set in a high school during the late 50’s.

In 1986, the Dulaney Theater Company did something unique. The theater company, then known as the Thespians, put on their production of “The Real Inspector Hound” while the student government organization (SGO) served a lasagna dinner. The event was described by the Dulaney Heritage Yearbook as an “artistic and gastronomical delight.”

In the fall of 2008, the theater company performed not one but three plays, all of which were written by Dulaney students. The company performed “The Experiment” by Hannah Hiaasen, “The Doctor’s Inn” by Bill King and “Seven Easy Steps to Robbing a Bank” by Tom Bryant. The three plays showed how the company could show its creativity both on and off the stage.

This year, the company continued its annual fall play tradition with “The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon,” a remix of many classic fairy tales. The company’s yearly spring musical was a rendition of Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella, featuring a live musical accompaniment by members of the DHS bands. The company continuously finds new ways to bring a fresh spin to its performances.