Dulaney Girl Up celebrates Women’s History Month

Nishka Sharma

Dulaney High School’s (DHS) Girl Up club meets to empower and celebrate women during Women’s History Month. Vice President Natalie Wheatley sheds light on their mission.

Every first Thursday of the month, DHS Girl Up club meets at 7:30 a.m. to create a movement de-stigmatizing menstrual health. President Nishka Sharma, Vice Presidents Marcus Lapinski and Wheatley and Public Relations Managers Ava Barnes and Jood Saiedy lead the club.

Last month, Girl Up celebrated Black History Month by highlighting influential African American women and their contributions by creating informational banners to hang around the school. The club also actively provides complimentary menstrual products in DHS’ women’s bathrooms.

With March in full swing, the club’s senior board has organized various activities to celebrate Women’s History Month.

“This year we are starting with a few informational PowerPoint slides about the progression of women’s rights and recognizing pivotal advocates and leaders,” said Wheatley.

DHS Girl Up will be making friendship bracelets with uplifting messages to trade amongst other club members.

“We chose this activity for Women’s History Month to not only learn about the importance of women in history but to also spread positivity and empower other women that surround us,” added Wheatley.

As the 2023-2024 school year concludes, DHS Girl Up plans to continue educating members on social justice and promoting gender equality in the DHS community.