Dulaney celebrates a season of sacrifice

Carolyn Jeon

Lent is a period of 40 days fasting and prayer leading up to Easter following Ash Wednesday. During this period, Christians give something up to practice self-discipline and be closer to God. Dulaney’s Christian community discusses how they celebrate Lent.

Senior Daniel Dames is a part of Dulaney’s Christian Fellowship (DCF) which meets every Wednesday for scripture, reflection and prayer. This Lent season, Dames is giving up meat.

“I feel like I’m always so tired for God essentially and it wasn’t good, so I wanted to make it intentional to spend time with him so I cut out meat as a whole,” says Dames. 

A popular sacrifice this Lent season is soda. Senior Laura Neer discusses what giving up soda means to her.

“I like that during this time, I can remember the sacrifices that Jesus made for us. I have been substituting fizzy drinks with water and just paying attention to what I consume on a daily basis,” shares Neer.  

Senior Ava Barnes looks for ways to find time to prioritize God during Lent. 

“I have the Pause app which sends me a notification at a certain time of the day that I designate for praise or thanks. It lets me take a break from the world and thank the lord for the blessings he has provided,” shares Barnes. 

Spanish teacher Eva Van Horn’s family in Spain is very religious, so the teachings of Catholicism have always been a big part of her life. This year, Van Horn has decided to give up two of her guilty pleasures: social media and candy. 

Lent is the one time a year where I can truly sacrifice something to represent my love and dedication to my religion. I feel that I have had so many blessings in my life that I am so grateful for and lent allows me to give thanks through sacrifice,” says Van Horn. 

Reflection during Lent can look like fasting, praying, making sacrifices, and working on a relationship with God. As Dulaney’s Christian community reflects during this period of 40 days, they await the joyful ending of the season: Easter on Mar. 31.