Local nonprofit promotes global education for women

Her Education Matters (H.E.M.) was launched at the beginning of the 2023-24 school year. President and founder Sherie Tantao and two officers discuss the mission and vision for the organization.

90% of the organization’s profits are donated to the Malala Fund, a nonprofit created by Malala Yousafzai to advocate for girls’ education. Inspired, Tantao created H.E.M. with the same mission as the Malala Fund: to offer young women around the world equal access to education.

H.E.M. was created this year after summer months of planning by Tantao. However, Tantao notes that the idea began blossoming when she was in middle school.

“Ever since I heard Malala’s story and all the really messed up things she’s been through…it just motivated me to want to fight for female education as well,” said Tantao.

Vice President Yehna Kim and Social Media Manager Sarina Ali have been involved in H.E.M. since the beginning. Both Kim and Ali are passionate about the organization’s mission and noted that they also focus on other aspects of women’s rights, like period poverty and gender pay gaps.

Ali explains that the fight for female access to education hits close to home, as she has family in Pakistan, a country where women often struggle for equal educational opportunities.

“Based on that family history, it kind of just made me more willing to do this for people,” said Ali.

This year, H.E.M. has organized two fundraisers: one at Gong Cha and a sticker sale featuring stickers of their mascot, Azzie the Axolotl, designed by Tantao. The idea for this unique mascot came from the axolotl’s association with new beginnings, which the club hopes to accomplish for many globally uneducated women.

As the organization grows, the hope is that membership and fundraising will expand. Though H.E.M. is based at Dulaney, three of their 14 members are from other schools. Most members live in Maryland, but Tantao hopes that their club will reach surrounding counties and eventually the entire state.

Tantao prioritizes taking on members who are passionate about the goals of H.E.M., ensuring that her officer team is dedicated to the objectives of the organization.

“To start it at this young age, like in high school, especially, like going to college where we’re actually making a difference in the world, it’s such a good place to start,” said Kim.

H.E.M. encourages all interested students to follow their instagram, @her.education.matters, and join their Remind group for meeting updates and ways to get involved.