Hobby leads to small business for enterprising student

Paola Rivera

Dulaney High School (DHS) senior Paola Rivera offers at-home nail services at affordable prices to the local community.

Rivera had many inspirations when starting her business.

“Just wanting to start a job, not having to work for other people, being able to share my creativity and make other people feel pretty,” says Rivera.  

She began painting her own nails in middle school. Shortly after, she started to practice acrylics on herself and family members. In May 2023, she began to offer services for pay, at her at-home nail station.

Rivera provides a variety of services including manicures, acrylic, gel and polish. She promotes her business through Instagram, word of mouth and business cards.  

Senior Gia Peredomo has been a client of Rivera for about two months, making an appointment every two weeks. 

The process is really fun, she’s really welcoming, she knows how to start conversation and she knows how to make me feel comfortable and even if we don’t feel like talking there’s either a movie in the background and music and it’s really just a safe and comfortable space,” says Peredomo. 

Rivera plans to continue to grow her small business as a side hustle while she attends college.

Instagram: @hnbypa0