Girls representing their curls

Nishka Sharma

Choosing the right products, having a routine and knowing their curl type helps Dulaney High School (DHS) students embrace their curly hair.

Mariam Darraj, DHS senior, has curly hair and didn’t know how to manage it. 

“In middle school, I didn’t really do any hair care. I kind of just brushed my hair when I woke up and it would be really frizzy. Over COVID and sophomore year, I started straightening my hair and I thought that it fixed the problem. Then, junior year, I did not want to straighten it as much, I got lazy. This year I started wearing it naturally and doing a curly hair routine,” said Darraj. 

Exhibiting confidence and wearing her hair naturally can take time. For Darraj, it was a journey from middle school to high school.

Sheila Kinyanjui, senior at Dulaney has 4c low porosity hair, a type of natural hair with tightly coiled curls. After years of experimenting with her hair, she has learned how to style it the way she likes. 

“In my childhood, I had relaxed hair. It was hard to manage at first, if I applied water it would automatically revert to its current state. When I got to sixth grade, I decided to cut off my hair and start fresh. I cut off more than five inches,” said Kinyanjui. 

Though curly hair falls under one big category, girls with curls have many different hair types. Kinyanjui shares her advice for those navigating their hair journey. 

“I would say look up influencers that look like you. TikTok sometimes influences people who aren’t of color and it is hard to relate to those products because they don’t work as well for your hair type. So look for influencers who look like you and it is easier to find the right products. Also, try to find a style that makes you feel comfortable in public, the more you do and experiment, the more confident you will feel,” said Kinyanjui.

Deanna St. Pierre, DHS junior, has recently learned to take care of her curls. St. Pierre’s hair used to be straight but as she has gotten older, she realized she has natural curls. 

“When I was young my hair used to be really straight. I didn’t know how to style it. It would be very flat on the top and straight at the top and curly at the ends. Eventually when I hit high school, I managed to figure out how to use curly hair products like leave-in conditioner and detangling spray,” said St. Pierre. 

Finding the right hair products and hair brush is key to taking care of curls. 

“Research on brushes because brushes have a lot of effect on detangling and helping the ends of your hair. I’d say trying using leave-in-conditioner and dry shampoo helps me a lot. Lastly, detangling spray,” said St. Pierre.