February 2024: What are you reading?

This month, Dulaney students and staff are indulging in a variety of book genres from murder mysteries to memoirs. Whether they’re on the go or in the comfort of their own homes, it’s always a good time to pick up a book. Here is what they are reading this month.

Rayna Harpster

Freshmen Rayna Harpster is currently reading “The Inheritance Games,” by Jennifer Lynn Barne, a book she selected after seeing it had many four and five star reviews on BookTok. 

“It’s about a a girl named Avery Grambs and one day she was randomly inherited 46.2 billion dollars from a man named Tobias Hawthorne and basically for the whole book Avery and Tobias’s four grandchildren have to solve riddles to figure out why Avery was given everything in Tobias’s will,” says Harpster. 

Harpster prefers mystery, young adult and romance books due to how she tends to have a better attention span when reading these genres.

Riley Palumbo

Junior Riley Palumbo discovered “The Wife Upstairs,” by keeping up with Rachael Hawkins and her work on the GoodReads app. After enjoying Hawkin’s previous work and seeing the book’s eye-catching cover, Palumbo did not hesitate to pick it up.

The book is an adaptation of Jane Eyre that tells the story of Jane, a former foster orphan, who meets Eddie, a new widow. Jane and Eddie begin to fall for each other, but when the death of Eddie’s wife and Jane’s best friend don’t add up, she attempts to get to the bottom of who is lying.

“I give it like a four out of five. It was good but had triple POV as there were multiple parts with three different characters, so it kind of just spoiled the mystery,” says Palumbo.

Carolyn Jeon

Senior Carolyn Jeon has been enjoying a new genre this month: memoirs. Jeon is reading “I’m Glad My Mom Died,” by Jeanette McCurdy, which walks through the heartbreaking yet humorous memoir about the Nickelodeon star’s life as a child actor. The book discusses topics such as addiction, eating disorders and living with an abusive mother.  

“It’s very interesting to hear about all the eating disorders she went through and how she recovered,” says Jeon.

Aside from reading her own selections, Jeon is also the secretary for Dulaney book club and enjoys assisting in selecting the books the club reads.

Jessica Carlson

Work-based learning coordinator, Jessica Carlson, is currently reading “A Girl Called Sampson,” by Amy Harmen. 

The book tells the story of Deborah Sampson, a girl who was indentured during the Revolutionary War. When Deborah earns her freedom, she runs away and joins the continental army as a woman. 

Most of Carlson’s reading is done through audiobooks because of how it matches her busy lifestyle. Carlson is also a big fan of historical fiction.

“I don’t love reading nonfiction, so historical fiction is my opportunity to learn something but through the experiences of other people,” says Carlson.

Glenn Penner

12th grade English teacher Glenna Penner is currently reading “The Thursday Murder Club,” by Richard Osman and “Dark Witch,” by Nora Roberts. “Dark Witch” falls into the romance genre and tells the story of Iona Sheehan, a girl who goes to Ireland to explore the possibility of building a life with her love interest, Boyle, except she must also defeat an ancient evil along the way. “The Thursday Murder Club” is a murder mystery and focuses on a brutal killing that four friends must investigate to catch the killer before it’s too late.

“Dark Witch is an adventure and romance mixed together and I like it but it’s pretty easy to figure out what’s going to happen. It’s still entertaining to read, but the Thursday Murder Club is a little more complex and has more twists to it which I like,” says Penner.