Dulaney collaborates with Towson University to promote mental health awareness

Maya Tarantino

Dulaney High School’s (DHS) Not On Our Watch (NOOW) club teams up with Towson University’s (TU) Tiger Linc program to promote mental health awareness.

NOOW allows student and staff voices to be heard and come together as a team to educate others. By expanding our community to TU’s, DHS can educate a wider range of individuals on mental health. 

TU’s Tiger Linc program was created to connect the university’s education-based students to high school students to promote resilience in mental health. Maya Tarantino, president of DHS NOOW, worked to unite the Tiger Linc program with Dulaney through peer-to-peer education.

“We were guided by these TU students and the goal is that we can bring that back to Dulaney and guide our students here,” said Tarantino. 

During NOOW meetings, students participate in  a variety of mental health related activities from creating cards of gratitude to stress balls. Unlike many other school clubs and programs, NOOW has a student-led initiative. With the help of Tiger Linc, NOOW can further spread their mental health advocacy through students and staff. 

“I think with Tiger Linc they hope to bring resiliency into schools more and you know combine forces,” said Tarantino. 

Gathering people from a variety of groups allows students to come together and share their stories to help others and raise awareness about the importance of mental health.