Students share their opinions on bringing back senior quotes

Caroline Hewat

Dulaney High School (DHS) students share their desires to bring back senior yearbook quotes in an effort to give graduates a final farewell.

Fliers were hung around DHS for students to provide input on a potential return of yearbook senior quotes. Prior to COVID-19, senior quotes were a staple of the Dulaney yearbook. Over 79 percent of respondents voted in favor of their return. The survey asked students if they would want Dulaney to bring back senior quotes in the yearbook, and why. 

Senior quotes are fun and arguably a staple of American high school culture. They allow seniors to have something other than a picture (that they don’t even like most of the time) to leave behind and be remembered by. They’re a fun opportunity for each senior to express their identity/individuality,” one DHS student said.

“I think it’s something really cool to see in the yearbook, and it’s nice to look at your other friends’ quotes in the future,” another DHS student said.

However, there is some controversy on including senior quotes in the yearbook. Some students may make inappropriate jokes, and yearbook co-editor Emily Noonan mentions it is a hassle to sort through hundreds of quotes.

“In an effort to prevent these inappropriate things from being included in the yearbook, we’ve nixed the quotes altogether–in part because we do not have the staff capacity to manually screen quotes from all 450+ seniors,” Noonan said.

With strong support from the student body to bring them back, it may be possible to see senior quotes return in the coming years.