Our mission: to enlighten and to entertain

Student entrepreneur engineers handmade jewelry business

Riley Palumbo

Dulaney High School junior Riley Palumbo founded her small jewelry business, Riley’s Dreamy Jewelry, when she was in eighth grade. Palumbo discusses her journey as a student entrepreneur.

As one of many students subjected to months of quarantine during the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic, Palumbo turned to making jewelry to occupy her time.

“I didn’t think it would go anywhere,” said Palumbo.

The business proved to be more successful than Palumbo had thought possible. With the help of her mother, Palumbo makes and sells earrings, bracelets and necklaces ranging from $10-12 on her business instagram account, @_rileysdreamyjewelry_, and at vendor events. Her favorite pieces to make are earrings; each pair is unique.

Palumbo began selling her jewelry at vendor events in January 2021.

“We saw this church really close to us was trying it [hosting an event] out for the first time, so we were like, it might just be a good way to get the jewelry out there,” said Palumbo.

Palumbo’s favorite part about her personal enterprise is the connections that it allows her to make with others in the small business community. She enjoys collaborating with other shops to promote her own business and those of her friends.