Our mission: to enlighten and to entertain

Expectations v.s. Reality of Dulaney: A Freshmen Outlook

As middle schoolers enter high school, they come in with varying expectations. Five freshmen share their perspective on their expectations versus reality of being a freshman at Dulaney High School (DHS).

Freshman Dalia Sara was very passionate about extracurriculars in middle school and she continued that passion into high school. She is involved in more rigorous courses. 

“I thought that I wouldn’t get much help from teachers and other people and I’d have to be more independent. I also thought it would be a lot more difficult and I wouldn’t have any support, but I actually have a lot of help and classes aren’t as hard. I just have to put more effort than in middle school,” says Sara. 

Freshman Maddie Cristopher is most involved with Dulaney’s allied program. Her expectations were similar to how high school is portrayed in movies. 

“I thought that it would be a lot more like the shows and stuff, a lot of drama and fights, and I feel like teachers are like, when you go to a new grade, ‘this is not going to be ok when you are in high school’, but I feel like the teachers don’t really care what you do because whatever you do affects only you; the teachers are actually really nice,” says Cristopher.

She also notes the rigor of Advanced Placement (AP) classes at DHS. 

“I am taking higher level classes, I like them but I feel like AP classes are a lot of independent work and I wasn’t told that. And also the notes are supposed to help you prepare,” says Christopher.

Freshman Shyreem Hamilton Petrouski is enjoying high school and enjoys being surrounded by his friends and teachers. “My favorite part about Dulaney is the teachers,” says Petrouski.

Freshman Gabriel Darraj expresses his concern for the cleanliness of Dulaney as well as what he expected before entering. 

“I expected a good school, a good education and a fun school environment. It has lived up to the expectations so far, it has been a good school so far even though the bathrooms are kinda dirty…I wish it was cleaner so there are no more mice,” says Darraj.

Freshman Alya Chawaff’s favorite part about Dulaney is the track program. 

“My favorite part is probably track and cross country and also my teachers are really nice. My least favorite part is the stress. It can be difficult managing things with grades and sports,” says Chawaff.

Chawaff also came in with the expectation that the teachers would be strict. 

“I thought teachers would be more strict because teachers made it seem that teachers in high school would be really strict but they weren’t,” says Chawaff. 

A commonality is the positive impact that Dulaney teachers have had on these freshmen. Though many came in with low expectations of the school, students new to high school are happy to be around their friends and enjoy Dulaney’s welcoming environment.