Dulaney student announced as 2024 SMOB finalist

Kimberely Hernandez

Dulaney High School (DHS) junior Kimberely Hernandez is running for Baltimore County Public School’s (BCPS) Student Member of the Board (SMOB) position. Hernandez was announced as one of two 2024 SMOB finalists in the entire county on Jan. 29.

Hernandez is passionate about helping others, participating in several clubs and service activities both in and outside school. She hopes to expand her reach to the entire county. 

During her term as SMOB, Hernandez wants to increase feelings of community and voices of minorities throughout BCPS by encouraging students to learn about other schools within the county. 

“We don’t know how other schools are doing; we don’t know their budget and we don’t know what they’re struggling with. I feel that’s very important to know as a community and as a county. If I can be that voice, it would be amazing,” says Hernandez.

In the future, Hernandez plans to study Immigration law so she can advocate for minorities—something she is passionate about as she is Salvadorian herself. Advocacy, leadership and community are topics Hernandez is excited to learn about through the position of SMOB to help as many people as she can. 

“I just want to represent other Hispanic people, or really any minority. We’re so often overlooked or thought we can’t assume these positions because maybe we’re not ‘as educated’ or ‘as perfect.’ I don’t think we should have to be a certain color or have a certain education to take advantage of great opportunities like SMOB,” says Hernandez.

Middle and high school students can vote for Hernandez on April 4 via the Student Member of the Board Selection page on the BCPS website.